As we bid farewell to winter (and good riddance!!) I get excited for one of my favourite seasons of the year…. WHALE SEASON!
They have to one of the most amazing animals on the planet and can currently be seen migrating north (before heading back south later this year) at a coastline near you.
For those like me who are in awe of these animals or for those who are yet to see one, we have put our heads together and compiled the best vantage points in Wollongong to spot these giants of the ocean:
- Bald Hill – regardless of whether you see a Whale or not, you won’t be disappointed by the breathtaking views
- Flagstaff Hill - enjoy the views from one of our most iconic landmarks as you watch Whales travel north
- Along the beaches – Wollongong is fortunate to have over 17 beautiful beaches along the northern villages, the CBD and to the south that can be taken advantage of when looking for Whales.
- Diggies Cafe – catch up for a coffee and grab a big breakfast and make sure you grab a seat with water views. On a clear day, Whales can be spotted breaching almost daily.
- At the Royal National Park – contact the team at Royal Coast Walks and not only take part in one of the most spectacular of walks along the Eastern seaboard, you will also be a good chance of witnessing Whales, Dolphins and/or seals!
- From the air (if you are not afraid of heights) - there is a new one! Skydive the Beach, Southern Biplanes, NSW Air and Touchdown Helicopters regularly report Whale sightings – not to mention the amazing experience of soaring above our coastline. Talk about bang for your buck!
Or! Why not go on a Whale watching cruise in Jervis Bay with Dolphin Watch Cruises or Dolphin Wild Cruises where you have the chance to get up close and personal with some of these beautiful creatures of the sea!